Saturday, January 31, 2015

A Tasty Schema

The blog post The Bogotá Manhattan recipe + markup by Joho the Blog drew my attention to a whole  set of schema I had no idea even existed. Hosted at schema.org, these codes let web designers mark up their pages in ways that help search engines do a better job of recognizing and categorizing certain elements.  The example post uses the code  "itemprop" combined with "ingredients" and "recipeInstructions" to tell search engines that the contents are a recipe and should be included in results for recipe searches on those ingredients.  I viewed the source on a few other recipe sites, and sure enough, there were the itemprop codes! When I looked at schema.org, I found that there are published schemas for all kinds of things, including products, movies, reviews, restaurants, medical conditions, and many more. This really opened my eyes to all the underlying structure in websites that goes way beyond ordinary HTML.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same reaction as you Nikki! Naturally, there is a schema that's influencing all of my Google search clicks: https://adamls566metadatacourseblog.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/under-the-influence-of-schema-org/

    ReplyDelete