Sunday, April 26, 2015

Forward or lateral? A question about passing

I think I'm basically done with my photos, but I still have one where I'm not sure about the subjects. This photo shows the quarterback (Todd, 14) passing the ball, but I am unable to tell whether it's a forward pass or a lateral.  There just isn't enough information in the picture--mainly because it doesn't show who is receiving the pass.

All I've got is the QB passing to somebody while offensive players run toward him and another player defends him.  Another Alabama player is on the ground off to the left.  The news story says that Todd had the ball more than once in some of the scoring drives, so I can't assume this is the first pass of the play. It's not part of a sequence, so I can't get context there, either, though based on the numbering sequence, it's probably this play in the 3rd quarter where Todd passes twice:

"Todd passed for 10 yards to Brown to the Tennessee 28, Calvin Culliver ran five yards, Todd ran nine to the 12, Taylor ran six to the four. Alabama was penalized five yards, and Todd scored from the nine." (Tuscaloosa News, Oct. 19, 1975)

Generic "passing" isn't one of the subject choices, so I have to either choose "lateral" or "forward pass" or leave it out entirely.  Leaving it out doesn't seem right since the subject of the picture is obviously some kind of passing, so I've chosen "lateral" basically because the players are kind of spread out, so I think it's not a "line of scrimmage" situation.  I'm not totally comfortable with my choice, though.

Christy's subject descriptions are awesome (thank you for providing those, Christy!), but they aren't enough to help me sort out this photo. Could someone look at it and tell me what you think on the lateral vs. forward situation?

http://omeka.slis.ua.edu/ls566-spring2015/alabama-football-images/admin/items/show/id/26

5 comments:

  1. It's a forward pass, eyes are downfield arm is extended in the direction the ball was thrown. At that angle if it was a lateral you'd see the guy parallel with the QB. (If you look at the line on the field you will tell the photog was on the sideline almost equal with QB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On second look, you can actually still see the ball in the air, headed downfield.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like its a forward pass based on the direct of his hands, feet and hips. Also, see my new blog post to help clarify https://metadata566.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/help-with-subjects-terms/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work, everyone .. thanks for pitching in to help!

    ReplyDelete