Sunday, April 12, 2015

The real McCoy?

So I'm working my way through indexing my 2009 images and find I have some that include Texas player number 12.  The roster at http://www.cfbstats.com/2009/team/703/roster.html for Texas for the whole 2009 season shows two players with number 12, Colt McCoy (QB) and Earl Thomas (Safety).  The roster at Rolltide.com lists number 12 as the QB, Colt McCoy, and Earl Thomas as 1D.  My extremely shaky understanding of the rules suggests to me that if I see number 12 in a photo, it will be McCoy, and Thomas would be assigned a different number for the game ("1D" is a just a mystery).

However, in my photo series MFB_Texas09_KG01640 through ...1643, number 12 is engaged in tackling-type play, uncharacteristic of a QB.  The jersey name is completely obscured.  I checked some of the other photos from this game that are in classmates' collections, and there is at least one shot displaying number 12 with the name showing very clearly:  Thomas.  Therefore, I'm going with Thomas, Earl (Texas) for my player name for number 12.

I'm satisfied with my identification here, especially now that I've looked up actual photos of the two players, but totally confused now on the player number and name thing.  Can anyone give me some good hints on how I'm supposed to know which player I'm looking at if I have only a jersey number and I can't trust the roster?  Also, does anyone have a picture of Colt McCoy in your photo group?  If so, what's his jersey number?

2 comments:

  1. Impressive sleuthing Nikki! I haven't gotten that far yet but will keep this in the back of my mind for when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they're both allowed to have 12 in the same game, since one is offensive and one defensive, so they're never in the game at the same time.

    ReplyDelete