Thursday, April 2, 2015

On football familiarity, or lack thereof

Several of us have now confessed to being football-challenged and nervous about being able to do a good job of describing images that just look like a jumble of people in brightly-colored uniforms. I'm in awe of people who can look at an image and somehow divine which team is "offensive" and which is "defensive" and know whether the ball is being thrown, received, or otherwise. I very much appreciate the kind efforts of my fellow classmates to help us out with useful links (shout out to Library Corner for posting those tools!), and I agree with Metadata for Breakfast that there is certainly no guarantee that we'll work with familiar subjects out in the real world, so, yes, it's good experience.

However, I couldn't help wondering if there is a class project that would present a more level playing field (ha!).  What if the project were something that was likely to be quite difficult to everyone? Would intramural ultimate frisbee images from several years ago be hard enough? What about a jai alai image collection? Or maybe we should go in the other direction and have images everyone can understand:  LOLcats.  In fact, I hereby suggest that next year's class, and all classes thereafter, get to use funny cat and dog pictures. Problem solved!



6 comments:

  1. I'm a football girl, but I concur! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Nikki. I am also one of those who is very nervous about my lack of football knowledge. I'm hoping that the schema rules for the subject element include a controlled vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really not a fan of football (or sports) at all, but I'm going to use this project as an opportunity to acquaint myself with the sport. Maybe I will enjoy it more if I imagine the players as cats...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone in my cohort was big into ultimate frisbee, everyone has different interests,. Hypothetical you get a job at Warehouse 13 as the new assistant cataloger how to create that schema? Here is a list of College Football rules http://on.ncaa.com/1H5A7Ff that might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably get sucked into another world working at Warehouse 13.

      Delete
  5. I only know Grumpy Cat...is he considered a LOLCats. I think no matter what images are picked someone is not going to be fully versed in whatever it is that's chosen.

    ReplyDelete